Pollution Info - Noise
Air-conditioners need to comply with the permitted noise levels and not cause a noise nuisance.
Permitted noise levels
- 7am to 10pm – no more than five decibels (A) above the background noise level.
- 10pm to 7am – no more than three decibels (A) above the background noise level.
How to reduce noise levels
You can help to reduce noise by:
- limiting the hours of use (find out what times neighbours are most disturbed by the noise)
- selecting a quieter air-conditioning model
- choosing the unit location carefully (avoid placing near neighbouring bedroom windows, offices, multiple walls and corners)
- performing regular maintenance
- installing a solid fence or barrier
- installing an acoustic enclosure - check with the manufacturer or installer for advice
- modifying equipment – check with the manufacturer or installer for advice.
This information is also available as an air-conditioning equipment noise fact sheet (to be checked)