Page Navigation

Legislative Referrals

Referrals for Koala

KoalaAs a result of the koala being listed as a endangered species under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999, any action that may significantly impact on the koala must be referred to the Federal Environment Minister.

As such, referrals should be sought from the federal minister for activities such as:

  • Clearing non-remnant vegetation
  • Clearing remnant vegetation
  • Clearing individual trees that might be used by koalas
  •  ‘Hot’ fires in koala habitat areas that may kill food trees
  •  Other activities that may also ‘significantly impact’ on koalas such as making applications to change land use in an area with koalas (e.g. establishing dog kennels in habitat areas)
  •  Property ‘improvements’ that may disrupt the movement of koalas between habitat areas.

For further information on the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 or to refer an action to the federal environment minister, please contact the Australian Government Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities via or 1800 803 772.

Vegetation Mapping/Clearing

State Government:

You can make a request for a property report for a specific property and you will receive relevant property information pertaining to vegetation status, including a series of maps and supporting information outlining the requirements for clearing vegetation on the subject land.

To access the State Government Vegetation / Clearing request form:

Please be aware this mapping relates only to State government vegetation protection, separate vegetation clearing approvals may be required from Council.