Page Navigation

Animal Management

Dogs Banner

Lost Animals

If your pet becomes lost it is important to contact Council as soon as possible. We will endeavour to use Council registration tags or microchip details to identify owners of found animals wherever possible. Contact details relating to your pets microchip can be updated using online databases accessible via the Pet Address website, which will allow Council, vets and animal welfare groups to easily locate you if they find your pet.

Disclaimer - The information on this site is provided as a service by Somerset Regional Council. This page is normally updated each working day, however there may be times when it is not updated.

If you wish to confirm any information relating to impounded animals please contact the Regulatory Services Section of Somerset Regional Council on 07 5424 4000 between the hours of 8.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.

Please view the "Lost Animals" document to see what animals are currently in Council's Pound.

Local Laws and Conditions


If you keep an animal, you need to be informed.

Subordinate Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2011 details the number of animals that may be kept including:

  • Dogs
  • Cats
  • Horses
  • Poultry
  • Goats and sheep
  • Pigs
  • Bees


As a dog owner it is your responsibility to ensure your dog is healthy, safe, well cared for and does not create a nuisance in your neighborhood.

Information about Dog Keeping in Somerset

Information about Dog Registration Fees

Dog Registration Application

Dog Desexing Promotion

  • You may keep a maximum of two dogs on your property if they are registered.
  • If you want to keep more than two dogs you must make an application to Council for keeping more than the maximum number of dogs. This application can be processed if your property is over 1 hectare (2.47 acres) and outside the designated area (outside the Urban Footprint of the South East Queensland Regional Plan). You also must be a member of an approved entity which is Dogs Queensland or an affiliated club, Racing Queensland.

            Notification to keep more than the maximum number of dogs

            Transfer of Unused Registration (to keep more than the maximum number of dogs)

  • Working dogs are exempt from registration provided working dog checklist requirements are met. Contact Council for a copy of the application. This checklist must be returned to Council with the appropriate supporting documentation for approval. If the application is not approved, the dogs are required to be registered. Please remember all working dogs not housed on a rural working property must be registered and treated as domestic pets.
  • Queensland Government has introduced laws to promote responsible breeding of dogs; these laws apply to any dog born on or after 26 May 2017.; A person, who sells, advertises or gives away a dog, must have a Supply Number. The Supply Number allows the person who bred a dog to be contacted – website
  • New residents need to register their dog/s within 14 days of moving to a residence within the Region.
  • Please keep your dog/s securely contained inside your property at all times.
  • Councils animal registration renewal notices expires on 30 June of every year.  If you have changed your address or any other circumstances please advise Council
  • Contact Council’s planning and development department for information regarding kennel licences.This is for dogs kept above prohibitions listed in subordinate Local Law No 2 (Animal Management) 2011, Schedule 1, Column 2.

   Things to remember when paying:

  • Eftpos is available at Council offices in Esk, Kilcoy and Lowood.

  • If you wish to post a cheque or money order with a copy of the renewal notice to:

          Somerset Regional Council
          PO Box 117
          Esk QLD 4312

  • A de-sexing certificate must be provided to Council for de-sexed dogs. Statutory declarations are available to complete if a certificate is not available.

  • If you have a concession you must provide a copy of the front and back of your concession card. This can be copied when presented in a Council office.

Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008

How it will affect you?

The State Government has introduced legislation to encourage responsible pet ownership, effectively manage cats and dogs and enhance community safety.  Councils throughout Queensland must implement animal management programs that comply with the Act.

From 1 July 2009:

  • All dogs must be tattooed by a vet upon de-sexing (de-sexing is encouraged but not compulsory)
  • Microchipping is mandatory for all:
  • Cats and dogs born after 1 July 2009.These animals must be microchipped before 12 weeks of age
  • Cats and dogs that are sold or given away update contact details linked to your pets microchip with a licenced microchip registry company
  • Declared regulated dogs (i.e. declared dangerous dogs and declared menacing dogs)
  • You may be liable to pay a maximum fee of 20 penalty units for not having your animal microchipped

Cats and dogs born before 1 July 2009 do not need to be microchipped, only those born or transferred after 1 July 2009.  Have your animal’s microchipped by a registered vet after eight weeks of age.  Ensure you update your contact details linked to your pet’s microchip with the licensed microchip registry company.  The easiest way to change your contact details is to search using your pet’s microchip number, which will then redirect you to the database that lists your pet’s microchip number. You can also change these details by phoning (03) 9706 3187 and quoting your pet’s microchip number.

Controlling Your Dog’s Barking

You could be fined if your dog’s barking exceeds prescribed noise standards.  Noise standards are prescribed in the Somerset Regional Council Subordinate Local Law No 2 (Animal Management) 2011 Schedule 4, Section 8 (1).

If your neighbour has a dog that barks and is causing a nuisance, you can print a Barking Dog Notification to Neighbours form from Council’s website and give the completed form to your neighbour. If the problem persists, contact Council.

Barking Dogs- A Dog Owner's View

Barking Dogs- A Neighbour's View

You can also contact Council for information on how to control barking dogs or go to

If your dog attacks a person or another animal, you will have to pay a heavy fine and your dog may be declared dangerous. For more information on Council’s policies and laws phone Council.If you own a dog, you must follow these requirements (fees valid from 1 July 2018).


Minimum fines for breaching requirements

Register your dog with Somerset Regional Council when it is three months old and every year after

2 penalty units

Keep your dog in your yard

2 penalty units

Walk your dog on a leash when you’re in public (except in dog off leash areas)

2 penalty units

Pick up and dispose of your dog’s droppings when you walk your dog

2 penalty units

Don’t let your dog attack or cause fear to people or animals

20 penalty units

Control your dog’s barking

2 penalty units

Fail to comply with a compliance notice

5 penalty units

Current value of a penalty unit is $130.55. Please note that the State amends this value annually.

Paying your fine

If you receive a fine, you have 28 days from the issue date to:

Pay the fine

  1. Apply to pay by installments (offences $150 or over)
  2. Elect to have the matter heard in court, or<
  3. Lodge a statutory declaration (vehicle related offences).