Page Navigation

Health Info - Bed bugs

What to do if you have or find a bed bug problem?


If you have found bed bugs, or suspect bed bug infestations in your room, notify the owner or management immediately so that action can be taken to eradicate the bugs. If you are the owner contact a pest management technician as soon as possible to eradicate the bugs before they become established.

Control can be difficult due to the diversity of hiding places available to the bed bug and potential difficulties in accessing hiding places such as behind fixed bedheads, light fittings and behind skirting boards.

If you would like to make a complaint in relation to a bed bug infestation in paid short term accommodation, first try to resolve the complaint directly with the accommodation manager. If this remains unsolved, you may contact Council to determine your next course of action.

If the Council is unable to progress the matter any further you may lodge a complaint with the Office of Fair Trading on 13 QGOV (13 74 68).

The Office of Fair Trading will assess the complaint to determine:

  • the issues in dispute
  • options that may help resolve it
  • whether someone has broken a law that Office of Fair Trading has the power to act on
  • whether another organisation could better handle the complaint.

If the Office of Fair Trading cannot help you to resolve the dispute to your satisfaction, they may suggest alternatives, such as taking the complaint to a tribunal, referring it to another department or getting your own legal advice.

More information is available from A Code of Practice for the Control of Bed Bug Infestations in Australia and A Bed Bug Management Policy and Procedural Guide for Accommodation Providers.