Birds and poultry
Many people like to own birds and poultry for similar reasons to those who have cats and dogs. To ensure that your birds and poultry remain healthy and don’t become a nuisance to your neighbours or the community, you may be required to comply with regulations set by Council such as:
- the provision of appropriate housing and enclosures
- seeds and any other types of bird food is stored properly
- housing and enclosures are kept clean.
The Keeping of poutlry and birded self-assessment checklist will help you check your compliance.
As a pet owner you have a responsibility to provide for the welfare of your animals and to comply with:
- The minimum standards for keeping of animals listed under Schedule 4 and 5 of Subordinate Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2011.
- Prohibitions for keeping particular animals listed in Schedule 1 of Subordinate Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2011.
- Other relevant legislation