Food Info - Start
Your first step when starting a food business is to check if you need planning approval. Council’s planning scheme guides how land can be used and developed, including the suitability of a location for mobile food businesses and the type of home based food activities.
Food businesses may need planning approval for these activities:
- starting a new food business
- changing the type of activity (e.g. from office space to restaurant)
- re-establishing a food business that was abandoned
- changing the intensity of business (e.g. expand the kitchen into the dining room)
- changing the scale of an existing food business (e.g. adding outdoor coldrooms)
- carrying out building work (e.g. a fit-out of the kitchen)
- carrying out plumbing or drainage work.
To find out if you need to submit a development application, you can:
- lodge an enquiry with Council
- arrange a pre-lodgement meeting with Council
- engage a town planning consultant registered with the Planning Institute of Australia
- self-assess your property details against Council’s planning scheme.