Page Navigation

PAS - Info

How to start a personal appearance business


If you are starting a new business, or making changes to or taking over an existing one, you need to meet Council's planning scheme requirements and comply with the Public Health (Infection Control for Personal Appearance Services) Act 2003.

Some personal appearance services have a higher risk of spreading disease or causing infection. Businesses providing higher risk services require a licence from Council.


Before you start

  1. Check what approvals you may need from Council (e.g. planning, building or plumbing approvals), including requirements for businesses providing higher risk personal appearance services.
  2. Check if you need a licence and find out how to apply. If your business provides any service that has a higher risk of causing infection or spreading disease, such as tattooing and body piercing, then you will need a higher risk personal appearance service licence. 
  3. Ensure your premises meets the design and fit-out requirements.
  4. Check if you need to lodge any related applications (e.g. for other licences such as tattoo operator/tattooist or laser).
  5. Check if any mandatory qualifications are required. Anyone at your business who provides a higher risk personal appearance service must complete mandatory training requirements.
  6. Review the information in Queensland Health’s booklet Personal Appearance Services Guide for Businesses.


If you are planning to operate from a mobile premises, have a look at Queensland Health’s factsheet licenced mobile premises providing higher risk personal appearance services, what the business proprietor needs to know.