Page Navigation

PAS - Info

Do I need a licence?


Hairdressers, nail salons and beauty therapists, as well as tattooing, body piercing and other skin penetration activities can spread diseases and cause infections. Some of these services have a higher risk of spreading disease or causing infection as they may involve the release of blood or bodily fluid. 

Businesses providing higher risk services require a licence from Council. 


When you need a licence

You need a licence to provide any higher risk personal appearance service, including:

  • body piercing, other than closed ear and nose piercing
  • implanting a natural or synthetic substance into a person’s skin, for example hair or beads
  • scarring or cutting a person’s skin using a sharp instrument to make a permanent mark, pattern or design
  • tattooing (including cosmetic tattooing and semi-permanent make-up)
  • tattoo removal using micro needles.


When you don't need a licence

You do not need a licence if you only provide the following non-higher risk services:

  • hairdressing
  • beauty therapy (including facial or body treatments, application of cosmetics, manicures or pedicures, application of, or mending artificial nails, hair removal by electrolysis or wax)
  • closed ear or nose piercing
  • acupuncture
  • massage therapy
  • tattoo removal using a laser (you don’t need a licence from Council but you do need a laser licence issued by Queensland Health)
  • personal appearance services provided within a health-care facility (you don’t need a licence from Council but need to comply with relevant medical legislation).