Pollution Info - Noise
Noise from refrigeration equipment needs to comply with the permitted noise levels and not cause a nuisance to neighbours.
Permitted noise levels
If the noise at a premises is over the following levels, a fine or notice may be issued to the responsible person:
- 7am to 10pm - no more than five decibels (A) above the background noise level
- 10pm to 7am – no more than three decibels (A) above the background noise level.
How to reduce noise levels
You can help to reduce noise by:
- selecting a quieter model
- choosing the refrigeration equipment location carefully (avoid placing near neighbouring bedroom windows, offices, multiple walls and corners)
- parking truck mounted units at a depot or away from noise sensitive areas
- performing regular maintenance on refrigeration equipment
- installing a solid fence or barrier
- installing an acoustic enclosure - check with the manufacturer or installer for advice
- modifying equipment – check with the manufacturer or installer for advice.
This information is also available as a refrigeration equipment noise fact sheet