Pollution Info - Noise
Tools and machinery (Regulated Devices)
Tools and machinery, including the following, need to comply with the permitted noise levels and not cause a nuisance:
- compressors and generators
- ducted vacuuming systems
- lawnmowers and edge cutters
- impacting tools (e.g. hammers and nail guns)
- leaf blowers and mulchers
- oxyacetylene burners
- power tools (e.g. chainsaws, drills and sanders).
Builders and owner-builders have different noise requirements.
Permitted noise levels
If noise from tools and machinery is audible at an affected premises between the following hours, the responsible person may be issued a fine or notice:
- 7pm to 7am - Monday to Saturday
- 7pm to 8am - Sundays or public holidays.
How to reduce noise levels
You can help to reduce noise by:
- limiting hours of use
- selecting a quieter model or quieter equipment, (e.g. sweep instead of using a leaf blower)
- working indoors, if possible and away from noise sensitive areas, (e.g. bedroom and office windows)
- performing regular maintenance on equipment
- installing an acoustic enclosure on fixed equipment - check with the manufacturer or installer for advice
- modifying equipment – check with the manufacturer or installer for advice.
This information is available as a regulated device noise fact sheet
Also available is a waste receptacles and associated noise fact sheet