Pollution Info - Noise
Swimming pool, spa and other water pumps need to comply with the permitted noise levels and not cause a nuisance to neighbours.
Permitted noise levels
If the noise at a premises is over the following levels, a fine or notice may be issued to the responsible person:
- 7am to 7pm - no more than five decibels (A) above the background noise level
- 7pm to 10pm – no more than three decibels (A) above the background noise level
- 10pm to 7am – no noise heard.
How to reduce noise levels
You can help to reduce noise by:
- limiting hours of use – understand how long your pool filter needs to run for
- selecting a quieter model
- choosing the pump location carefully (avoid placing near neighbouring bedroom windows, offices, multiple walls and corners)
- performing regular maintenance
- installing a solid fence or barrier
- installing an acoustic enclosure - check with the manufacturer or installer for advice
- modifying equipment – check with the manufacturer or installer for advice.
This information is also available as a pump noise fact sheet